Enterprises are clearly managing the risks involved in cloud adoption, and cloud monitoring has something to do with it. Nearly 9 in 10 respondents to a 2016 survey[i] of cloud buyers and users reported using public cloud services. The majority are SaaS subscribers. But enterprises are increasingly using public cloud services to develop and deploy new applications, to host their apps, and to create hybrid cloud architectures for their distributed apps.
The risks of cloud adoption have not disappeared. There’s the loss of visibility and control over infrastructure performance. And the challenge of managing complex networks stretching from the enterprise to a cloud, across regions, and between cloud vendors. Riverbed cloud monitoring solutions have helped enterprises address some common challenges.
Four challenges of cloud-delivered apps
Enterprises face several challenges when migrating apps to the cloud.
- Applications that have been running on-premises may not perform as well after migration to the cloud. The infrastructure stack is different, and extra latency can exist between application tiers.
- IT organizations must deliver excellent end user experience for cloud apps, just as for any other business critical app. But the visibility gap between the application and the end user makes it hard to identify and troubleshoot performance problems.
- Service provider SLAs end at the edge of the cloud. Yet IT organizations are still responsible for ensuring an excellent digital experience of cloud-delivered apps. They need the ability to set, manage, and deliver on service targets that extend from the edge of a cloud to their end users.
- Development teams working on cloud-native applications face time pressure that can put software quality at risk. Some of the more challenging defects to resolve are performance issues rooted in the application code.
Four cloud monitoring solutions
Whether you are just beginning to use cloud services or have been doing so for years, Riverbed cloud monitoring solutions can help you optimize the performance of cloud applications and networks, speed application development and improve software quality.
To illustrate, watch this short video of Riverbed Solutions for Amazon Web Services.
Similar cloud monitoring capabilities exist for any cloud provider. Here are the top four:
1. Cloud planning and readiness
Riverbed Professional Services takes the drama out of migrating applications to the cloud. We help you identify hidden risks and constraints that can lead to performance issues, unexpected project delays, and unplanned costs by:
- Mapping application dependencies
- Using quantitative analysis to predict post-migration performance
- Making recommendations to improve performance and reduce risk
SteelCentral Digital Experience Management provides the network and application performance insights that are central to this cloud planning and readiness solution.
2. Application performance optimization
Riverbed helps you optimize the performance of cloud-based applications. SteelCentral provides the end-to-end visibility needed to find, troubleshoot, and resolve performance issues faster— regardless of whether they are due to the application, network, or end user device. Evaluate the performance of cloud-delivered apps from the perspective of the end user with SteelCentral End User Experience Monitoring. Use SteelCentral Application Performance Management to spotlight application performance issues at code level in the cloud. Then use SteelCentral Infrastructure Monitoring to drill down to understand network issues in the middle.
3. On-going service assurance
Maintaining acceptable levels of application performance and availability can be difficult. Cloud-deployed applications mean more frequent software updates, changing use patterns, and increasing network traffic. Service provider SLAs stop at the edge of the cloud, the limit of their control. Riverbed enables you to optimize ongoing application performance and availability by setting, managing, and delivering against service level objectives that extend into and beyond the cloud. With SteelCentral, you can hold cloud vendors accountable by monitoring app performance from the perspective of the end user.
- Real-time monitoring of applications, networks, and end user experience
- Auto and manual setting of performance thresholds on a user and application basis
- Analytics that identify issues before users are impacted
4. Improved continuous delivery
DevOps teams are under pressure to deliver frequent yet high-quality releases of cloud-based applications that meet end user expectations and achieve business objectives. Riverbed DevOps solutions can help you keep pace with aggressive release schedules and maintain quality.
- Detailed diagnostics that reduce the need to replicate bugs so developers can fix them faster
- Powerful analytics that illuminate hidden performance issues in app software and pinpoint their causes down to the code level
Ready to get started?
Here’s how to get started with Riverbed cloud monitoring solutions. Read more about the pitfalls to avoid when migrating apps to the cloud. Check out the on-demand webinar we conducted with Microsoft on speeding adoption of Microsoft Office 365. Or start a free trial of SteelCentral SaaS to begin your journey to more effective cloud monitoring.